Thursday, August 11, 2011

Just a Day

What to write about today. I have the nagging pressure to write something profound (completely self-inflicted), but like most people, my daily life isn't exactly profound... So, I'll just tell you about my hum drum day, and if I bore you, well, you can thank me for helping you fall asleep. If I entertain you, then you can thank me for a good chuckle. Or you can thank me for neither, that's just fine too. I like to think I'm not that needy and vain.

Today was a fine day, albeit a very exhausting one. Missy woke up after some rather terrifying nightmares and had quite a difficult time going back to sleep. Once she was back in her peaceful slumber, I found my mind racing and getting irritated over the strangest of things. I was getting increasingly angered over a tour guide on a recent trip- a trip that I LOVED. It was one of my favorite vacations which during normal daylight hours, I had absolutely no problems with. However, in the middle of the night I was quite bitter about it. So bizarre. I had my alarm set for 7:40am. When my pleasant little chime went off, my appendages felt as though they weighed 100lbs each. Nothing a little coffee (or a lot) cannot fix! So off I went with my dear friend, Rosali, to her 16 week appointment (she's pregnant just in case you didn't quite catch that...) while Missy stayed home with one of our other dear friends. The appointment was just delightful. Despite being half awake and not pregnant myself, I was still giddy to hear the heartbeat. There are few sounds that are more pleasant on this fine Earth of ours. Perhaps that is what I should program as my alarm. It was also amusing to see my slightly nervous friend with her little sheet of questions, politely trying to ease her fears without taking up too much of the doctor's time. What a flash back to when I was sitting with my list of questions, feeling somewhat ridiculous by all that I had to ask. Also amusing was her horror at the scale as her petite frame stepped off. I remember feeling the same way (just add a good 20 lbs and that was my starting weight, let alone my weight at 16 weeks!) The anxious look on her face contemplating just how high that number would go by the end of her pregnancy. I remember bargaining with the scale... just not over this number and we will still be friends. My magic number changed later in my pregnancy, and while I remained friends with the scale, I did not with the mirror or my pre-pregnancy wardrobe (I don't understand, did my clothes shrink?!)... at least not until after Missy had blown out her first birthday candle... sometimes it is nice rekindling old friendships though, no?

After hearing all was well with the baby and the mother-t0-be, I finally sat down to do the entire week's worth of Bible study homework while simultaneously tidying up for the study and of course playing and feeding Missy. I completed the assignments just as the leader walked through the front door, so quite literally, just in the nick of time. The house was tidy with my beloved Woodwick candles burning, maintaining the illusion that my house is always in proper order (just don't mind me barricading the door with my body if you stop by unannounced pretty much any other day of the week). The study was just lovely- Beth Moore knows how to throw together a lesson! It was an emotional session, with 3 of the 4 ladies in attendance in tears simultaneously over different challenges. Of course I was the perfect supportive friend, and sat there emotionally inept and utterly helpless to all three. The best I could stammer out was a half-heartened, poorly delivered joke about refusing to cry and being the "rock" for the day. So much for grace under pressure...

With a couple of hours before my dinner guests would be arriving, I indulged my addiction and checked Facebook (who am I kidding, that was probably the 6th time of the day) and jotted some emails. I reheated the chili and cornbread I'd prepared the night prior for a party that I never made. So it turns out the chili needs to simmer for one hour and an additional 30 mins after adding the kidney beans. I would almost understand my error if I didn't make this chili regularly. I can practically recite the recipe without looking at it. Well, at 630pm it still had an hour to go and the party had already started, so I phoned two friends to help me polish off the abundant dinner (meant for approximately 10 people) and watch a movie. As 3 people didn't exactly solve the overabundance of food issue, I invited Meghan over again the next night, to be joined by my pregnant friend, Rosali as well (she counts as two, right?) So we three adults, 1 fetus and 1 child continued the respectable dent into the chili and cornbread and watched yet another movie. And what other way to remain guilt free after a hearty meal than to go for an evening jog (because who am I kidding, even in a life-threatening situation I highly doubt I'd ever go fast enough to qualify as "running").

And that was my banal, far from profound day.

1 comment: