Friday, September 16, 2011

Hard News & a Hike

A few years ago, one of our dear friends brought us dinner after Missy was born. I remember how nervous she and her husband were to hold Missy because she was so tiny. When I found out I was having a baby girl, my Dad told me that while boys are nice, girls are little angels sent from Heaven. Sometimes, I think those angels are too precious for God to part with, so He reserves a special seat in Heaven for them. Those little angels don't get much time on Earth, if any at all. This is what happened to this particular friend that blessed us with dinner after Missy entered the world. But my friend's arms will not go empty. God may be caring for her little angel, but He also sent her a sweet little boy to cradle. A wee little 3 lbs, I cannot help but smile remembering how nervous she and her husband were with my 4 lb baby, and how much more nervous they must be when that bundle of joy is their very own. I am sure it is a bittersweet moment for them, to say the very least.

I am not sure what else to say regarding their situation, so I guess I will just tell you a little bit about the rest of my day. Maria and I took Missy on her final hike today (I may repeat old hikes with her, but the remaining ones I have set aside are too dangerous for her to accompany me on). It was absolutely breath-taking. The hike down was nice enough in and of itself. I am always a fan of the lush greenery of the woods. But it was nothing compared to the spectacular, vibrant turquoise color of the water. Staring at it, it still seemed unreal. We sat and swam there for quite a long time. It was difficult to leave such an awe-inspiring sight. I just wanted to keep looking, taking it all in. What a wonderful final hike for Missy! That brings me to 23 hikes completed out of my goal of 44! We stopped for a fantastically healthy lunch of McDonald's (hey, we split the double cheeseburger meal at least, so that made it healthier...) and it never tasted so good. Hiking will make one ravenously hungry. But after such a nutritious lunch I am more than ready and needing a work out, so now I am pounding down a homemade iced coffee (so a few less calories than if I had purchased it out in town). Once it delivers my second wind, it is kenpo time! And of course I'll jog those fries off later tonight!

Thanks for reading!

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment